Sunday, February 27, 2011

December 21, 2443 - Belated

Eros,

Sorry for the delay. I gotta get this down, though. I got a dog! Its been, well, years since I had my own dog. Lots and lots of them. Of course it's a boy. I named him Bali. Great Dane. He's brown with a wet black snout and I love him. They say Great Danes only live for around 7 years, their lives in instants. I need Bali in this instant. His warm fuzzy little body, which inevitably will become a gigantic-ly massive body, is keeping my bare legs warm while I write. Every so often, he licks my leg and I kiss his head and we are two organisms unified by a need. So here we are exchanging warmth and energy, satisfying this primal need for warmth and energy, and I suddenly see in this moment that there is nothing more perfect than what simply is. And this is simple, and always will be.

You always see those commercials or movies where some brunette middle-aged woman takes her spouse into the dog store and just "knows" that the fluffy retriever with his fat paws stretched upward in an attempt to get his fluffy face over the wooden pen is "the one" for her. There is this "awwwwww" that escapes her lips and she looks pleadingly at her spouse, warning him that yes, this is now my dog, and you'd do well to buy him for me. And the spouse caves, realizing there is nothing he can to do fight what just is. That bond, that immediate connection with this golden version of man's best friend, truly happens for that brunette woman in one single instant. And it lasts her a lifetime. My connection with Bali was that way, in the store, minus the spouse and brunette hair and golden retriever. Instead I saw this lonely brown Dane, content with himself in his pen, not stretching toward me but waiting patiently for me to pick him up, which I'll bet (if dogs could have journals) he'd have claimed he knew would happpen all along. Because our connection was immediate and timeless and genuine and real.

In this instant, it is Bali and I, and we are just content to be.

Love you, Eros.

-Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment